Here’s how he evaded suspicion:
- Police said that in a bid to stave off suspicion,
Aaftab Poonawalaused to chat with Shraddha’s friends through her Instagram account.
- He had also paid her credit card bills till June to avoid suspicion.
- He cleaned the refrigerator and the room with chemicals to wipe out bio-traces.
- Police said that in all probability, he used formaldehyde to preserve Shraddha’s body parts.
- After killing Shraddha, Aftab continued to live in the same flat.
- He continued ordering food on Zomato, and did not interact with anyone in order to avoid suspicion.
Sept 2022: Walkar’s friend made a phone call to her brother and informed him that there was no contact with her for 2.5 months; father also tried to reach her but failed
Oct-end to Nov 3: Poonawala called to Vasai by cops for questioning. He says Walkar left home in May after a fight
Nov 8: Manickpur police station, Mumbai, informed Delhi Police about the missing case
Nov 10: Vasai cops and Delhi counterparts detain Poonawala for questioning; he spills the beans on the murder
Nov 11: Police arrest Poonawala from his house in Chhatarpur
Nov 14: Remanded in police custody for five days
Oct 6: Walkar’s father filed application before Vasai DCP; teams formed to trace the girl
Oct 12. Manickpur police filed a missing case after Walkar’s phone was unreachable; her bank account showed no transactions since May; social media accounts have also been inactive since May; last location of Walkar was traced to Chhatarpur